CENTRAL PARK SOUTH
230 Central Park South, know as Southmoor House, was built as a quintessential New York Art Deco apartment building in 1936 on the south end of Central Park. The building originally housed 73 elegantly proportioned one- to five-room apartments with nicely proportioned rooms, entrance galleries, and dressing rooms. After the building went coop in the late 1980’s, its fortunes rose with the revitalization of Columbus Circle, the construction of the Time Warner Center, and more recently. the creation of ‘Billionaire’s Row’ between 57th St and the park through the construction of the city’s most desirable new buildings. With that new development, the building ownership was able to sell off the Southmoor Houses’s air rights to an adjoining property and thus fund an extensive renovation of the facade lobby, elevators, and a new rear garden, making the property only that much more desirable.
Throughout this period of change for Southmoor House, the number of units in the building has steadily fallen as owners combined multiple smaller units into more generously scaled properties appropriate to the value of the building. LABhaus has been the designer of the three most ambitious renovation projects in the building, including two full-floor residences and the reconstruction of the top three floors of the building as an ambitious triplex penthouse.
This project was designed for speculative sale. The property was listed by Pamela O’Connor and Rebecca Cavallaro of Sothey’s International Realty as permitted space, who sold and closed the coop sale in under 30 days.